If you are struggling to get across to your hairdresser what you are after, here are a few consultation tips to help you get the best of your hair experience
So you have stalked your dream hairstylist on Instagram, read the reviews and have finally booked your appointment. Yes as a Stylist, we love our job and are very excited to be doing your hair. Here are 10 ways to get the best out of your appointment and make your Stylist love you as a client.
- We consider ourselves as Artists and art is a personal opinion so please do your research before choosing to book in with us. Just like Tattoo Artists, we all have our own style and specialise in certain looks. Don't just be dazzled by our pretty Instagram and Pinterest pictures. Work out if this look is for you. Can you maintain the style? Is it appropriate for your job? Do you really have the confidence to wear hot pink hair? Chose the best stylist for the particular look you are after.
- No we don't double book like your doctor does. If we run late, it is usually due to a process taking longer than expected or the client has extra thick hair. If we have a day of back to back long, thick haired clients, this will surely throw our schedule out. Some hair takes longer to lift than others and some people take longer to consult. We make adjustment to the times when we know the client but it can be difficult with new clients so please state when booking if your hair is extra long or extra thick. We will also call you if we feel we are running really late but please don't huff and puff over 15 min. If time is an issue, give the salon a call about 30min before your appointment to see if the Stylist is running on time.
- We love pictures and we respect other Stylists work as inspiration, but don't be coming into my salon with a picture from a Stylist in the same town and tell me how amazing their work is but you could't get in with them or we were cheaper. If you love that Stylists work then please go and see them. We don't mind inspiration but we cannot exactly replicate another Stylists work, especially when it has been Photoshopped, filtered and Stellar lit. Show is your inspiration and let us do the work. We like to know you chose us after some research and that you have confidence in our work.
- Please have some idea of the look you are after. It is wonderful that you want to let us weave our magic but please give us a ball park idea. This is not a Makeover show. If you let us do what we wanted, then I am sure you would not like the mermaid/Galaxy/unicorn look we will create for you if your job is a Lawyer. We will ask you open ended questions so please answer honestly. Also be realistic on what your hair will do and your styling ability. Some of my favourite looks have been the simplest things which complement the client's look
- Please let us know if you are on a budget. Most salons will warn you if the price is getting over $250 but who are we to make judgements on what you find expensive. If money is an option, then ask for a quote. We would rather tell you up front then have you pass out at the front desk.
- You know your hair the best so if there is anything unusual it does, please tell me. A weird kick, an area that doesn't colour or patches that go lighter or darker than they should are all really helpful thing to know before I start your hair. Saves us a minor freak out later at the basin but in some cases we may be able to rectify the problem if we know about it beforehand.
- When your Stylists speaks, please listen. If we tell you that you will not be able to achieve your desired colour today or your hair is too damaged to lighten any further, please listen. Don't just nod and then complain at the end. Sometimes I wish we had one of those Telstra 'recording your call' services to play back to clients who refuse to acknowledge our conversation.
- Please don't lie to us about your colour history. Just like your parents, we can see through your lies. We can see it in your hair. Even if you put a semi permanent in your hair 3 years ago, chances are if your hair is past your shoulders, it will still be in your hair. Even semi permanents will mark the hair and we need to consider this when colouring. Your lies will only make your colour not turn out as hoped so please be honest for both our sakes.
- Please respect the time it takes to create the look you are after, and time is money. These days we can do double colour processes in the one day thanks to Olaplex but this does take more time and will therefore cost extra. The darker your hair, the longer it will take to lighten. Please be patient, clear your day and bring a packed lunch if you are wanting an extreme colour change.
- By all means, if after a week you are feeling uneasy or not liking something about your hair, call the salon. All respectable salons will amend your hair and will most likely not charge you if its a reasonable request. Obviously if it is a complete change of mind, there will be charges. Peoples variations and perceptions of a certain look or picture may vary so tell your Stylist what it is you don't like or can't do with your hair and they can rectify it. It is usually an easy and quick fix. Don't ever leave it over 2 weeks to contact the salon and definitely don't go to another salon to get it fixed then come back for a refund. You owe it to the Stylist to let them see what you don't like and attempt to sort the problem.